Mosquitoes are the enemy of summer fun, and with the spread of west-nile virus they’re more than just annoying anymore. We’ve found 7 great tricks to keep mosquitoes from ruining your summer with itchy bites and scabs.
- Clear any standing water from your yard or patio area. These are mosquito breeding grounds. Make sure to check under your deck, or even basement window wells.
- Citronella is a really great product that keeps mosquitoes at bay, you can burn the candles, citronella oil lamps, or even there are some new products you wear.
- There are a lot of plants that put off scents the repel mosquitoes. They include peppermint, lavender, cinnamon, rosemary, marigolds, and catnip.
- There are two natural enemies of mosquitoes, bats and dragonflies. Unfortunately the best way to attract dragonflies are with ponds, and ponds are standing water, so the next best thing is to install or build some bat houses in your trees. Bats love to snack on mosquitoes and other pests.
- Garlic, like their bloodsucking friends vampires, mosquitoes HATE garlic so consuming garlic, or rubbing it on your skin will repel mosquitoes too.
- Vitamin B-1 puts off a chemical smell that also works well to repel mosquitoes, 100mg a day once a day and you should be set.
- Last but not least, an decent sized electric fan near your seating area will keep mosquitoes flying away from you and your guests.
Or you can try some natural products such as Murphy’s Mosquito Sticks